There’s something incredibly special about gifting a stunning piece of jewelry to someone you love. The thoughtfulness and care expressed through this type of gift is simply unmatched.
Finding and choosing the perfect piece of jewelry, though, can feel overwhelming. You might be unsure of what style or color to get. Maybe you’re nervous it won’t fit correctly. Worst of all, what if your loved one doesn’t like what you chose?
With the holiday season right around the corner, now is a great time to learn how to choose a piece of jewelry your loved one will cherish for years to come. Don’t worry– it’s not as difficult as you might think!
When Is It Appropriate to Gift Jewelry?
Let’s start by talking about when you should and should not gift jewelry. Afterall, you don’t want to risk an awkward interaction by giving an expensive piece of jewelry in an inappropriate situation.
It’s a great idea to gift jewelry if it’s for a…
- Best friend
- Parent or grandparent
- Sister or brother
Don’t Give Jewelry
It’s probably not appropriate to gift jewelry if it’s for a…
Jewelry Gifting Etiquette
Before diving into the process of choosing a piece of jewelry, take some time to review some basic jewelry gifting etiquette.
Here’s what you need to know:
Dos and Don’ts of Buying Jewelry for a Friend or Family Member
Pay attention to these gifting rules to help ease your nervousness about picking the perfect piece of jewelry for your friend or family member.
- Choose a piece of jewelry complimenting your friend or family member’s personality and style (not just something you like for yourself)
- Give a piece reminding your friend or family of your relationship
- Consider giving designer jewelry if you know the person’s jewelry preferences
- Regift jewelry given to you
- Choose a piece of jewelry drastically outside of your friend’s or family member’s price range
- Give jewelry with the goal of getting something in return
What Jewelry to Give at Every Stage of a Relationship
Though every relationship is unique, here’s a typical gifting etiquette for various stages of your relationship.
- The first gift: Bracelet or watch
- Early stages of the relationship (for her): Simple earrings
- Dating anniversaries or Valentines Day: Meaningful necklace or earrings
- Time to get married: Diamond engagement ring or band!
- Wedding anniversaries: Diamond or other gemstone earrings, necklaces, bracelets, or rings
One last tip: be careful of buying your significant other a diamond ring unless you’re proposing!
Tips for Buying Jewelry
Whether you’re buying jewelry for a girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband, mother, father, or sibling, there are certain guidelines you should aim to follow.
Do Your Research
Avoiding a spur-of-the-moment purchase is the best way to ensure you choose the perfect piece of jewelry for your loved one. At the same time, be careful of becoming too consumed with making the right decision– this often leads to a point where you can’t make any decision at all.
So how do you find a middle ground?
We recommend conducting some initial research to help you feel confident in your purchase. Here are a few things you can look into before visiting a jewelry store.
- Basic knowledge of metals and gemstones available
- If you’re interested in a vintage piece, understand the various eras of jewelry
- Current fashion trends and styles
- Trustworthiness and testimonials of the jewelry store you plan to visit
It’s always best to choose a quality piece of jewelry, even if it means spending a little bit more. A quality piece is created to last. It will include high-grade metals and gemstones and will be properly designed and finished.
Remember, quality doesn’t always mean “bigger.” Don’t think you have to choose the biggest piece to make your loved one happy. (Of course, there’s nothing wrong with that, either!)
Pay Attention to Preferences
This piece of jewelry is for your loved one, not for you. It can be easy to impose your own preferences into your decision, but try to keep the other person in mind.
If you’re not quite sure what the person likes, ask a friend or someone else close to the person for their advice. A few things to think about are style, design, and color preferences.
Additionally, if you’re purchasing a ring or bracelet, it can be helpful to know the individual’s ring size or wrist size. Don’t stress this, though. When you purchase from a reputable jewelry store, you can always bring your loved one back in to resize the piece, if necessary.
Add a Personal Touch
It can be fun to add a personal touch, something highlighting that you chose the piece specifically for them. For example, the person’s birthstone or a design with a special meaning between you two.
Some jewelry pieces allow for personalization. For example, on the back of a watch you may be able to engrave a special message
Know Exchange or Return Policies
Of course, if your loved one needs to return the piece of jewelry, it’s best to ask the jewelry store about their exchange or return policies. Understanding these policies up front will help eliminate confusion and help you feel confident in your decision.
Work with an Experienced Jeweler
Our best tip for buying jewelry as a gift is to work with a trusted jeweler in the community.
When you visit an experienced jewelry store, you can expect:
- A selection of high-quality jewelry
- Experienced staff who can work with you to help you understand your loved one’s needs and style preferences
- Jewelers who can educate you about products, choosing the right diamond, and more
- Answers to all your questions
Find the Perfect Gift at Samuelson’s Diamonds
If you’re ready to find the perfect piece of jewelry for your friend, family, or significant other, visit our jewelry store in downtown Baltimore.
Samuelson’s Diamonds has been a trusted part of the Baltimore community since 1922. We love helping our customers choose the perfect gifts for their loved ones and are happy to answer all your questions. We want you to feel confident and excited about your purchase.
If you have questions or would like to book a private consultation, contact us. Or stop by our store! We’d love to help.